The Key to Contentment

Contentment is the ability to cope with the circumstances of life; a sense of sufficiency in our sufficiency in JC. a sense of inner peace, inner quietness, inner rest that is undisturbed by outward circumstances. Anxiety says we are not in control. We bring ourselves anxiety. It is an obstacle to our faith.

Philippians 4:6--Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Anxiety is a thief in the life of the believer. Anxious moments steal moments of joy. You cannot be anxious and enjoy the blessings of God.

Anxiety can become a stronghold in the life of a believer. Satan occupied strongholds cloud the life of a believer.

Anxiety is a detriment to your decision making abilities. It paralyzes us from making wise decisions in our life.

It is a health hazard.

It is a sin against God and ourselves. Paul tells us to stop being anxious for anything. Believers have no grounds to be anxious for anything.

It breeds self-centeredness.

The root of anxiety is the fear of our inability to cope, the unknown, the lack of control, etc.

Unbelief is another root. When our emotions of our anxiety overwhelm us, it throws us into a state of fear. In order to live in contentment I need to separate myself from God's whens and hows.

Another root is attempting to play God. ("Thanks G, but I think I can handle this one.") We think we are capable of handling certain circumstances. The attempt to order my life according to my desire instead of the desire of God. God won't allow you to become self-sufficient. You will feel incapable and you will experience anxiety.

Steps towards Contentment

Confession of your inability, inadequacy to deal with your sin, guilt, etc. Transformation of the inner-man. Recognizing that we are incapable of saving ourselves, forgiving our sins, etc.

Isaiah 48:22--"There is no peace," says the LORD , "for the wicked."
Isaiah 57:21--"There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked."

Wickedness is when a person wilfully and knowingly rejects God's right to forgiving his sins, Lordship in his life, and JC's work on the cross. There is no peace for the wicked. If you are not a believer, you will not be able to experience true contentment. You will not be able to experience the inner peace and rest unless you trust JC as your Lord and Savior.

How do we live in contentment?

Satan will blindside us, and we will experience moments of anxiety. But we can remain unmoved regardless.

1. Pray as an expression of personal worship. Begin to worship God and talk to Him in a God centered prayer expressing out worship to Him and worship His omniscience, omnipresence, and His omnipotence.

Supplication is going to God with a petition.

2. Pray as an expression of a personal need. The first aspect of prayer is God-centered but then it moves into need-centeredness. A believer should always turn first to God. God is never to be a last resort. He's always there to meet our need and to give us contentment. This is also an expression of helplessness. Give up and rest in God. Know God and believe that He will live out in His strength. God is pleased when we come to him this way.

3. Pray as an expression of thanksgiving. Being able to thank God in the midst of our anxiety is an expression of my belief that He is in control of what's happening in my life.

Because of our relationship in JC, we are in God's protection, which keeps anxiety at bay. This is the key to contentment. It can be yours if you ask.

Trust Jesus Christ as your Savior!

3 comments:

Jay said...

This one area of my life where God has really shorn me up. Typically, I'm not rattled by much. My mom commented yesterday about how I just let things roll off my back. I've been told that it is a strength of mine. it's really God's strength. I have many weaknesses, but not being overwhelmed with anxiety is one of my strengths.

Contentment is a li'l more challenging for me. I know God wants me to be content. I know I have more reasons than I'm aware to be overflowing with contentment. But sometimes satan's darts, filled with the poison of guilt and shame, affect my ability to enjoy my God given contentment.

But His word is so reassuring. I need to spend more time in His word. I need to spend more time talking to Him (prayer). more importantly, I need to spend more time listening to Him (meditation).

That's why I started this blog. I wanted to record my thoughts so that I can look back to hear the echo of God's voice in an effort of getting to know His voice.

Anonymous said...

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight"
- Proverbs 3.5-6.
I think that contentment is a fruit of the seed of trust. If I trust the Lord - giving Him my whole heart, then the peace of Christ flows within me. I can be content because He is making my path straight. what a relief! I do not have to count on my own devices to figure things out, because God's will is the perfect will for my life.
One area that I am growing to trust God in, is for my future. Continually giving up my own plans, dreams and desires. the realization that if I really trust that God has plans for my life - to bring me HOPE and a BRIGHT FUTURE (Jeremiah 29.11), His plan is indeed the best plan.
El Hanne'emam. The Faithful God.
it can be so simple to say 'just trust God,' but how does one do that exactly? you trust those that you know intimately. how do I get to know God intimately? like you say in your comments Jay, I must understand the character of God - through His Word, and through communicating with him (prayer and meditation). I feel like I could go on and on. this is such a meaty topic with a myriad of layers. great post! thanks for initiating meaningful reflection. God Bless You.

Jay said...

Thank you, Bonita, for your comment.