Unforgiveness

When we became B, we forfeited our right to withhold forgiveness.

We you don't deal with unforgiveness, bitterness takes root in your life. It affects in ways you realize and ways you don't realize.

Ephesians 4:26--In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. He kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Forgiveness=giving up right to retaliation, getting even; surrendering resentment, bitterness, etc. Giving up the pay back, no buts. Just as JC forgave us, we are obligated to forgive others. We have forfeited our right to hold unforgiveness in our heart. We cannot defend a spirit of forgiveness, scripturally.

Unforgiveness is like an acid inside me that is destroying me little by little. It is destructive by nature. When a B is unforgiving, we are out of character. It takes HS to free a person from the pain of anger, resentment, bitterness, etc. Because we have been forgiven, we are obligated to be forgiving.

When you have not forgiven someone, you are in bondage. You can't walk away from it. You have to deal with it. It affects how you relate to everyone around you.

Just as you can forgive others, you can forgive yourself. Unforgiveness affects your spiritual growth. It can cause you to doubt your very salvation.

The Lord's Prayer
Matthew 6:9--"This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. 'For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

There is a difference between the forgiveness of God that pardons us for our sins and the forgiveness of our daily sins. JC is talking about how if we don't forgive others, then God won't forgive our daily sins. Thus, our relationship with the Father suffers. We can't ask God to forgive our daily sins if we are not willing to forgive the day to day sins of others. JC is not suggesting that we can lose our salvation because God won't forgive us because we haven't forgiven someone else. We must be willing to let God deal with/handle whatever is going on in our lives.

It is never the will of God to have an unforgiving spirit.

If a person does NOT forgive those who wronged him/her, the consequences are subtle. It alters his thinking. That person grows critical. Through his conversation he will reveal his spirit of unforgiveness. It affects his character. It affects their personality, their being. It also affects their personality. There's no joy or happiness in the life of a bitter person. They can't hide their bitterness.

It also affects the human body: heart, blood-pressure, etc. God did not create us to live in unforgiveness. Through PHS, we can lay it down, we can have peace in the midst of turmoil and chaos.

Unforgiveness affects every relationship. It's a serious sin. Unforgiveness can be the cause of unanswered prayer. It affects your worship. Your soul cannot not be if when it has a spirit of bitterness.

Unforgiveness affects your perspective.

Acknowledge that you have an unforgiving spirit. Name the person and their wrong doing. Confess your unforgiveness. Pray that God gives you the strength to lay down your unforgiveness. Chose to no longer hold a spirit of unforgiveness towards the other person. It's a decision that YOU make.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Forgiveness is an underpracticed practice. We are required to forgive. But it's easier said than done.

I know that I have to constantly check myself to see if I am being unforgiving. It's not always easy to tell if you have unforgiveness in your heart.

Aslo, forgiving yourself is crucial to your walk. Unforgiveness is a heavy burden. But you don't realize you're bearing it until you forgive yourself. That's when you feel the release of the burden. You don't realize your bound until you're freed.

For too many years I hadn't forgiven myself of anything. I didn't even know I could do that. I thought I was forgiving others, but I can't even be too sure of that. But one night, a worship leader called us to forgive ourselves. I never thought to do it. So I verbally forgave myself and felt the burden lifted. I actually felt the weight of my unforgiveness leave my shoulders. That's the only way I can describe it.

Now, that's how I know I have unforgiveness in my heart; I feel burdened. I search my soul to find who am I not forgiving, and/or what I'm not forgiving about myself.

Please pray for the spirit of forgiveness in the lives of all believers.